W. H. SMITH & SON Wrappers

Of course, many of our members collect non-GB stationery as well (or instead). This is the place to talk about it.
CemilB

W. H. SMITH & SON Wrappers

Post by CemilB »

Hi All,

I wonder whether anybody collects W. H. SMITH & SON wrappers. I noticed something some time ago, but never quite got to look at it more carefully (yet). Front and back (or, maybe inside & outside) of one of the wrappers:
Screenshot 2023-11-13 223331.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-13 223404.jpg
Then, I looked at this one:
Screenshot 2023-11-13 223616.jpg
When I held it up to the light, I saw this:
Screenshot 2023-11-13 223646.jpg
So, it looks to me like that was the way the folks at W. H. SMITH were segregating the wrappers to be used for particular publications. I have a couple more examples, but have not yet gone methodically through my other examples.

Was there ever a study of these? How were these wrappers manufactured and then used in the supply chain? Has there been a list of publications handled by W. H. SMITH? Are there any references to this?

I would appreciate any information you might have.

Cemil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnhbarker@btinternet.com

Re: W. H. SMITH & SON Wrappers

Post by johnhbarker@btinternet.com »

Hello all,
Jan Kosniowski lists the WHSmith wrappers in Volume 3 of his 'Postal Stationery Newspaper Wrapper Catalogue - see the review in the PSSJ #91.
For a look at the use of postal wrappers covering many of the markings, printed, manuscript etc refer to John Courtis' 'Analysis of Worldwide Postal Wrappers, 2 volumes, reviewed in PSSJ #100. WH Smith distributed newspapers, magazines etc in vast numbers by post and it would seem that matching newspapers with their appropriate wrapper was essential to efficient working.
CemilB

Post by CemilB »

Thank you, John. I am familiar with the W H Smith wrappers and the Kosniowski catalog is my first goto source. I will have to look at Dr. Courtis' book, of which I am aware, but have not yet consulted.

My question was specifically whether there was a study of how these were handled during the packaging and mailing operations.

Speaking of the Kosniowski catalog, I use it heavily and have plenty of unlisted items. If ever somebody continues his work, I would be interested in contributing those. Mentioning, just in case.

Best.
Cemil
johnhbarker@btinternet.com

Post by johnhbarker@btinternet.com »

Hello Cemil,
Unfortunately Jan Kosniowski passed away some time after publication of his catalogue. As far as I am aware no one has taken on the task of recording 'new finds'. I will raise this matter in the next issue of the PSS Journal. As with all catalogues, as soon as they are published, new finds appear out of the woodwork! I would be happy to receive any comments on this.
John